Welcome to the UC Berkeley Academic Program Review website. This site is intended to provide information and guidance for departments undertaking a program review. Separate sections of the site clarify the process and introduce all the participants, offer access to critical reference materials and tools, and answer frequently asked questions.
In subsequent sections of this website you will find:
- Overview of the Process—brief description of the steps in a program review and of the participants;
- Program Review Components—explanation of the major parts of the process and links to a detailed downloadable guide;
- Schedule for Unit Reviews—all units to be reviewed over an eight-year cycle;
- Frequently Asked Questions—a list of key concerns addressed;
- Perspectives on Strategic Planning—discussion of departmental planning’s crucial contribution to comprehensive university strategic planning; and
- Contacts—the people who can help you with remaining questions and concerns.
At Berkeley, program reviews are overseen by the Program Review Oversight Committee (PROC) and coordinated by the Office of the Vice Provost for Teaching, Learning, Academic Planning & Facilities. They are conducted in a timely manner and include participation from faculty, students, staff, and administrators in recognition of their shared responsibility for continued academic excellence.
Regular peer reviews of each academic unit ensure that the Berkeley standard of excellence is maintained, and that schools and departments have the opportunity to plan strategically for the future. Unit reviews sharpen focus on program areas in which excellence can be maintained or improved with the most effective use of available resources. They are a critical part of the long-range planning activities of the campus and inform decisions on priorities and future programmatic directions.